Wednesday 22 May 2013

Blog 13 : Giving Something Back

Blog 13 : Giving Something Back

Today, I'm feeling strong, and quite positive. Yesterday, I felt very weak, and pretty negative, tomorrow I'll probably feel that way again. At the moment, that's how it goes, one day up, the next day down and so on. This pattern seems even more erratic with Mia's birthday and anniversary approaching quickly.

The difference between now, and maybe where I was 6 months ago are the thoughts and visions I have on my up days, or strong days. I think being back at the Liverpool Women's Hospital for the memorial service last week has made me realise that I now need to start giving something back to the place that cared for Mia with such diligence, compassion and dignity. Well, that and the fact that Mia's mummy has been talking about jumping over obstacles in the mud to raise money next year. I think we've decided that we want to start fund raising now to help parents and families that are faced with baby loss in the future. 

Our fund raising will be exclusively for the Liverpool Women's Hospital who we feel eternally indebted to after the way they cared for our princess, Mia Rose. We will speak to LWH direct to discuss specific details of where we want the money to go but our first goal, after doing some research is to provide Flexmort cooling cot systems for the hospital. These allow bereaved families to spend more precious time with their babies, and means that babies don't need to be rushed straight off to the bereavement suites to be kept cool. They can stay with the families longer in a comfortable ambient environment and provide some extra bonding time, where those treasured memories can be formed. Some families choose to take baby home, which is made possible with the use of the cooling cot. Had the cooling cot been available to us, Mia may have been able to spend the night with us in her mummy's hospital room. We would love other parents and families to have this opportunity. 

I have recently started cycling so my fundraising will be taking the form of sponsored cycle rides. Some small (ish) ones this year, some bigger ones next year and hopefully building up to the likes of "Lands End to John O Groats" and "L'etape du Tour" in a few years time. 

So I'm guessing that this blog is really a rallying cry. To our families and friends. Let's do this. I'm sure the possibilities are endless of things that we can do to raise money for this amazing place, the Liverpool Women's Hospital. For my own ideas, I need willing cyclists to share these journeys with me, maybe sponsors to help fund some custom cycling gear and basically lots of people who want to make a difference. These are only ideas at the moment, but i need more of them and I need to make them into reality. So who's with me?

2 comments:

  1. Very worthy cause Steve, I do the same for people that we have lost. So I doubt I will be cycling with you, but happy to get involved in organising and fundraising in some way. Go for it, you have re inspired me to keep fundraising for my own causes!

    ReplyDelete