Sunday 31 March 2013

Blog 11 : Mia's Garden

Blog 11 : Mia's Garden

I'm not a religious person, even less so these days, but I still feel that Easter is a major event. Apart from birthdays, Easter is the first big event of the year and it normally signifies the change in season. The weather tends to turn around Easter time, bringing brighter days, and with it a change in moods. Although there has been a slight change for the better in weather this weekend, unfortunately the same cannot be said for the mood in our house.

The one thing that does lighten the mood this weekend, and it's also one of the only places that I feel happy these days is visiting Mia's Garden.

Mia is buried in a beautiful little baby garden at our local cemetery. Away from the rest of the cemetery, it is a quiet, semi enclosed area where we can go and be with Mia. It's the only place that I feel close to Mia, maybe that's because sadly, it's the only way I know her. The main reason that we call it "Mia's Garden" and not the baby garden or anything else is because it really truly is hers. She was the first in there and with that bestows certain bragging rights, I can just see her in years to come bossing everyone around who comes to play in her garden. At the moment though, it's just Mia and her little friend Charlie, who came to play in Mia's garden just a week after Mia had played out the opening ceremony. 2012 wasn't about Danny Boyle and the Olympics, it was about Mia Rose and her beautiful garden.

Mia was given such a beautiful and dignified send off, laid to rest by her Grandad's & Uncles onto a soft bed of flower petals, at least she'll be comfy. And instead of throwing dirt, we got to throw more petals to Mia, somehow this made things so much more child friendly. It was a little thing that the council had done but made such a big difference.

I think this is the first blog where I mention the word happy, maybe this is a sign that I could be turning a corner, or is it just proof that I need to be doing something for or with Mia to be truly happy. I do have a son, Kyran, who makes me very happy but I'll talk about my responsibilities to him in a future blog.

I'm hoping that the change in season helps to lighten the mood. If not, I can always go to Mia's Garden, sit on the bench with my wife, Vikki and talk to Mia while her big brother rides around the grounds on his bike. For me, that's the most beautiful scene on Earth at the moment.

2 comments:

  1. Steve, this is written so beautifully and I can echo your sentiments about sitting and being with your beautiful little girl. I too am hoping for a change in the seasons to make my visit to Laura more lengthy. Thinking of you all, Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Claire says, this is beautifully written. Despite the tragic and sorrowful circumstance, you have conjured a beautiful image of Mia resting on a bed of flowers.

    ReplyDelete